Thursday, 26 May 2011

Moar Update

Third Year work:
Pieces thus far;
-Re-lining one shot
-Colour for Fall shot
-Colour for Lute Player
-Colour for Turn scene
-Colour for Interior of Coach shot
-Beginning of Colour for Kings celebration shot

Currently trying to render out the parts I have worked on for the final Production report. Dropbox seems intent on foiling me.

Negotiated Brief:

Draft 1 complete, ready to being Draft 2 of the script after feedback today. Am happy with the pacing, need to remove the narrated style and include dialogue and more visual story telling, rather than explanation. I have a good idea of how this should work out already. Onwards and upwards.

Pitch project:

Need to do character design work for my part of the trio. Will begin tommorow, have been copiling ideas mentally.

Animation Technologies:

Still need to begin serious work on this. Will begin over the weekend and early next week.

Sunday, 13 March 2011

Status Update

Way, way overdue.

3rd Year Project;

Working on 'Inbetween a Fable' for Jake Jones, my work thus far has included;
-Line cleaning for an animation section
-Colouring work on a second animation section
-Colouring work on a third animation section

Further colour work is due soon. I'll also get the files thus far converted into miniature clips to post here.

Pre Production Project:

Hacking through the list of stuff that has to be finished for this.
Concept is nailed, story layout is nailed, script needs to be typed up but is pretty much nailed.
Character designs are sorted and I'm down to the last turnaround.
Layout is finalised, backgrounds still need to be finished, as do storyboards.
Wow images and final cover are not yet done.

Here are the turnarounds that are complete so far (Minus Izumi the Potter)







Thursday, 17 February 2011

Character Sheet overview



There we go. Roughed out designs for the Shopekeepers, narrowed down to four out of six original sketches.

More Character sheets will be put up as they are completed.

Saturday, 12 February 2011

Year Two, Term Two

Been far too long since I updated here, so this might be a long 'un.

First off, Pre-Production project, to whit; a character and story bible using four random pick cards to decide Main Character, Setting, Film type and Style.

Mine were;
Banker
Corner Shop
Silent Movie
Hokusai

Ideas at first were a little hazy. Hokusai instantly made me think of something Japanese. A banker in a corner shop, though? And a silent movie meant there had to be a strong story that was nevertheless easy to get across with nothing but location and gestures.
I don't remember the idea of a fable came from, honestly. But it suddenly made a hell of a lot of sense, and everything clicked into place.

So, I'm currently working on 'The Tale of the Greedy Banker'. It focuses on the titular banker, Hiroto, and his experiences with the four villagers that live in the 'Corner Shops', four shops arrayed in a little square by the river.


Some work so far;
Hokusai Research





Tuesday, 30 November 2010

Experimental Project Production Report

video


Experimental Project Production Report

For the experimental project this term, myself, Lucy and Corrine teamed up for production. We chose to use the short musical clip ‘Drones and Refrains of Death’ out of the choice of music’s. This clip stood out above the others for the staccato, edgy quality of the music and vocal chants/shouts. We felt we could produce something really unique to coincide with the music.

Our initial idea was to utilise a solid material to create an end result. Our first attempt made use of blue tack sculpted into a figurine model. When this proved slightly more restrictive than we thought, we moved onto use rice on a glass surface to creating shifting shapes and patterns. The rice proved to be a more effective medium to work in, allowing us to produce varied shapes, patterns and other things with relative ease, as well as being easy to work with. The oriental ambience of the sound also went well with the innate association of rice with the orient.

Eventually, however, we decided that rice didn’t quite do justice to the more macabre element of the music. Our decision to move from a solid to a liquid medium was what really made for an effective shift in direction, making use of a not inconsiderable amount of fake theatre blood to create our work surface. Jarring, strange and somewhat morbid images took on a whole new meaning when done in what for all intents and purposes looked like blood on glass.

The equipment used was fairly simple; a camera and a tripod, a glass plate and the materials mentioned above, using stop motion techniques to get the pictures of the various images and their stages. The footage was then edited together and finalised on the computer.
For my part, I helped produce the images in both the rice and blood mediums, along with taking a turn at operating the camera while we cycled roles.

The final result came out very well, in my opinion. Some slightly overt jarring occurred, but through fault of computer and software limitations. The images in fake blood really worked well with the music and its strange rhythm and chants. Images such as the skull and crossbones, bird like creatures and wolves really matched the grim nature of the sound.

Tuesday, 12 October 2010

New term, New work

Back to Uni and back to work, looking foraward to doing some new and hopefully interesting stuff. And putting out the results worthy of it.

Little bit of refresher animation, a figure picking up a fairly heavy box. Not perfect, I'd probably add in a few more stages if I were to re-do it, particularly at the anticipation stage. Even so, it flows fairly well, and I was quite pleased with how it came out in Photoshop, frame by frame.


video

Friday, 4 June 2010

Sit-Rep



Just a quick one, with two completed character sheets for The Firm;